Thursday, October 2, 2008

Skiing

In 1987 when Jordan was 4 years old I talked him into going skiing. So we each bought us a set of skis and a ski pass and went up to Beaver Mountain nearly everyday. Jordan told me "Just follow me, we don't need a ski class." So I did. Jordan picked it up real fast and it wasn't long he was hitting every  jump down the hill. He especially loved ski racing. He thought it was great when we would both come home with a trophy. Jordan had a whole shelf full.  We had a lot of fun singing primary songs while riding up the lift. I taught Jordan how to tell time while riding the lift. We would pick out a tree a 1/4 of the way up and it was the quarter hour and the shack at the top was the half hour. Skiing back down we picked out another tree opposite the other tree and that was the quarter after. He caught on real fast and then I showed him my wristwatch and told him there is 60 minutes in an hour. When we got home that night he told Andrea and his mom that he could tell time. Andrea said,  "that's not fair I have to go to school and I don't know how to tell time."  Jordan on the phone, Hello grandpa I heard on the radio this morning there is a ski race down in Ogden at Powder Mountain, can we go?  I said, "Yes let's go." We both came home with a trophy. The next year Braden joined in with us and it didn't take him long to catch up. The two little boys would both  be out in the powder and leave me behind. It wasn't long until they said, "We'll see you at the lodge." Now Andrea wanted to go so Jordan reluctantly loaned his skis to her. When we got up to Beaver Mountain we made our first run down Little Beaver. When we got to the steep part I thought I should put her between my legs so I could slow us both down. This was a mistake because her skis got under mine and over we went. Of course she cried a little bit, but I got my hankie out and wiped the snow off her face and she had a little cut on her lip. I wiped it off and tried to hide the blood from her.  It was only a few seconds when she found out her lip was bleeding, then the crying started with gusto. She said, "I'm not going to learn to ski, I'm going to be like my grandma and stay home." She repeated that about 60 times within the next 10 minutes. We carried our skis down to the lodge and got warmed up then she still wanted to go home so we left.  When we got home Jordan asked how our day was. When he found out what had happened he said, "Andrea if you're gonna ski  you've got to be tough and if you crash and burn you need to jump right back up and lick the blood off your lip(it tastes good) and keep skiing.  Jordan and Braden both became excellent skiers and Braden won King of the Hill just before he went on his mission. They are not as wild of skiers anymore. 



Ski Race
Jordan on the tow-rope

No comments: