Now we had been dating for a couple months when I asked her if she would marry me. She was overcome with joy and we got engaged up by the Hyrum movie theater. She had a wart on her ring finger so the ring didn't fit on all the way but she went to the doctor the next day and got it burned off. I think we sat in the show looking at the sparkle on her new ring rather then the movie. We went and showed our folks what we had done. They were both happy. Casper said to Jolene, "How many scriptures do you know?" She said, "Well uh uh uh, don't think I know any." He assigned her Moroni 10:4 and 5 to memorize. He told her if she was going to be a Merrill she needed to know one scripture anyway. I think she went home and memorized it that night because she has never forgotten it. She was quite intimidated by Casper and still is. When we showed the ring to Jolene's old maid Aunt Lila she replied something like Mardee would say, "You hardly know the boy. It will never last. "
The original engagement ring I gave Jolene 57 years ago.
No comments:
Post a Comment