Saturday, September 27, 2008

Temple Experience

In August 1977 the Logan temple was closed for renovation. I used to drive by everyday on the way home to lunch on 2nd North.  One day I had an impression to stop in. So I did, but the big sign said No Admittance- hard hats only ect. I thought I shouldn't go in, so I left. The next day I had the same impression, only a stronger feeling. I said to myself if I'm going to stop in I need something to stop for, so i went back to the plant and got a couple of boxes of ice-cream. I met Brother Christensen who was the head inspector for the church in overseeing the construction of the temple. He thanked me very much for the ice-cream then he asked me, "would you consider being a witness to the reconstruction of the Logan temple and go with me each friday on a tour to witness what had been done that week"? Of course I accepted and went each week and I can testify that this temple is built to last through eternity with all the concrete and steel used. When it came time for the dedication, Jolene and I went to that. The next week when the temple opened for endowment sessions.  The night before the first session I had a dream. In my dream we were in the temple and an officiator asked if any here were related to President Mariner Wood Merrill. Of course I raised my hand and I think when I dropped it I hit the headboard with my hand which woke me up. I woke Jolene up and said, "lets get ready and go to the temple." Great-grandpa Merrill must want us to be there. We hurried and dressed and went down for the first session. When we arrived at the temple the line was clear out to the recommend desk. An officiator came along with a counter and when he got past us he said, "we only have room for 10 more people for the first session", so we just made it in. We got dressed in our whites and went to the waiting room where they were already departing for the session. We where among the last ten or fifteen to go up. When Jolene and I got to the door of the endowment room an officiator asked me if we would be the witness couple for this first session and of course I said yes we would be delighted. I wondered if Grandpa Merrill had anything to do with this assignment. There are no records kept of any witnesses at the temple.  


No comments: